Soft and Chewy Gingerbread: This recipe is the culmination of countless rounds of experimentation, before we finally arrived at the perfect recipe for the softest, chewiest and crumbliest gingerbread man we have ever tasted!
We are huge fans of soft and chewy gingerbread, but its very hard to find store-bought gingerbread that gives us that soft, moist and chewy texture that we love. I remember when I was a kid, I used to be so attracted by all the gingerbread houses on display in the posh hotel lobbies during Christmas season which smell so good and look so colourful and attractive. Its only later that I found out that to make a structurally sound gingerbread house, the cookie dough would actually have to be quite tough and it doesn’t taste good at all.
Moreover, gingerbread is not that common in Singapore and is usually only available for sale during Christmas season, but its a snack that our family enjoys all year round, and we needed to satisfy our monthly craving (we have already had 3 rounds of gingerbread batches since Christmas, thats how much we love it!)
So after rounds and rounds of experimentation, we finally perfected this gingerbread recipe that is the softest, chewiest and crumbliest gingerbread that you can find! And because its so soft and crumbly, the batter actually needs to be frozen for 30 minutes, before you can cut it into cookie shapes. However if you are short of time, you roll it into a log and cut it off as cookie rounds instead. Here’s the result of this batch of gingerbread cookies – look how soft, most and chewy they are!
Soft and Chewy Gingerbread
After rounds and rounds of experimentation, we finally perfected this gingerbread recipe that is the softest, chewiest and crumbliest gingerbread that you can find! And its way better than the store-bought ones!
- 1/2 cup Butter
- 1/4 cup Sugar
- 1/2 cup Liquid molasses
- 1 Egg yolk
- 2 cups Plain flour
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1/2 tsp Baking powder
- 1/2 tsp Baking soda
- 2 tsp Ground Ginger
PREPARATION METHOD FOR SOFT CHEWY GINGERBREAD (0 Min)
- Take the butter out ½ hour ahead of time and leave at room temperature.
COOKING METHOD FOR SOFT CHEWY GINGERBREAD (25 Min)
- Cream the butter and sugar together until pale yellow and fluffy.
- Stir in liquid molasses and egg yolk.
- Combine the flour, salt, baking powder, baking soda, and ginger; blend into the wet mixture above until just mixed in.
Put the mixture in between two sheets of baking paper and roll to about 1/2" thickness. Place in the freezer for half an hour.
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees C.
- Using the frozen sheet of dough, quickly cut out the gingerbread man shapes and place onto a baking tray lined with baking paper.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes in a pre-heated oven, until only slightly soft in the centre when pressed.
Remove and cool on wire racks.
- Leave the butter out at room temperature for ½ hour to make it easier to cream (especially if you’re doing it by hand rather than with a electric mixer)
- For greater flavour, replace ginger with pumpkin pie spice mix which also has nutmeg, cinnamon, and cloves.
- Find trays that fits your freezer, and simply smooth out the dough between two sheets of paper placed in the tray to maximise useable dough surface area for cutting out cookie shapes.
- To save time, give gingerbread man shapes a miss and instead roll the dough into a log shape and cut off slices as cookie rounds.
- If the cookies are slightly undercooked, leave them on top of your oven on a baking sheet while baking the next batch of cookies, so the gentle heat can continue to cook the cookies through.
- Goes best with a cup of hot tea!
Suggested Modifications for Special Diets
- Child-Friendly: No modifications needed.
- Confinement: This cookie contains ginger, so surely it must qualify as confinement food! At least thats how we justify it to ourselves 🙂
- Fish-Free: No modifications needed.
- Nut-Free: No modifications needed.
- Shellfish-Free: No modifications needed.
- Vegetarian: No modifications needed