Today I’m sharing my Fried Chee Cheong Fun recipe. Years ago, my colleagues and I used to patronize a famous, but now defunct Zi Char stall in the Joo Chiat Place Coffeeshop after Everitt Road intersection! This particular Zi Char stall was very famous for its Fried Chee Cheong Fun (Cantonese Rice Rolls), but too bad it has since wrapped up its business according to some vendors which are still operating in that coffee shop. So far I have not been able to find Fried Chee Cheong Fun as good as what that particular zi char stall used to serve. That’s why I decided to try making it for myself, and after several attempts I believe I have finally managed to replicate the dish to taste exactly the way I remember!
GRAB OUR HERITAGE HAWKER DELIGHTS COOKBOOK + EBOOK BUNDLED DEAL FOR JUST $44.85 (U.P. $54.80)
Fried Chee Cheong Fun (Rice Rolls) Recipe
PREPARATION FOR FRIED CHEE CHEONG FUN (30 minutes, start the day before)
Leave the Chee Cheong Fun in the fridge overnight to harden.
When it is hardened, cut it into 3cm pieces lengthwise.
Wash and cut the spring onions in small pieces.
Remove the root of the bean sprout, Wash them and drain dry in a colander.
Wash, deshell and devein the prawn. See my video on How to Clean and Prepare Prawns
Marinate the prawns with some egg white and 1 tsp sugar and leave it in the fridge for later use.
- Beat the eggs and add a pinch of salt.
COOKING METHOD FOR FRIED CHEE CHEONG FUN (30 minutes)
- Put 1/2 TBsp of oil in the non stick pan over high heat.
Add in all the Chee Cheong Fun and spread it out in one layer. Leave it in the pan to fry for about 5 minutes without turning it over. Use a spatula to lift the Chee Cheong Fun slightly to check if it has turned golden brown. If not, continue to fry for another 1-2 minutes.
Once golden brown, flip the Chee Cheong Fun and do the same with the other side.
Lower the heat to medium, then drizzle 5 TBsp of soya sauce evenly on the Chee Cheong Fun and mix well. Continue to fry for another min. once the Chee Cheong Fun turns golden, transfer onto a plate and set aside.
Add 1/2 TBsp of oil to the pan. Add the chopped garlic and fry for short while until just fragrant but not burnt.
- Next, add the prawns and fry for about 2 mins.
Then, add in the beaten egg and fry until the underside of the egg is slightly charred.
Add the bean sprouts, oyster sauce to the egg and stir fry until well mixed.
Put the Chee Cheong Fun back into the pan and continue to flip over gently until mix well.
Lastly add in the sesame oil before transferring to a serving dish.
Garnish with black and white sesame seed, pepper, spring onion and parsley.
Plating and garnishing completed - ready to serve while it is hot!
- The Chee Cheong Fun must be left in the fridge overnight to harden otherwise it will break up into bits and pieces during frying process.
- Don't flip the Chee Cheong Fun over until it's golden brown but not charred. Be patient, it may take a while around 5-8 mins.
- While frying the Chee Cheong Fun, do not add light soya sauce until it turns golden brown otherwise it will get charred quickly.
- Always keep a glass jarful of chopped garlic in your fridge - it is used in so many Chinese dishes and it saves time when you chop garlic in bulk and store for later use. The glass jar keeps to seal in the freshness of the garlic so it does not lose its aroma. Please use old garlic. The young garlic once minced ( usually comes in a bulb) will turn green after a few even if it is placed in the fridge.
- After fryinng the Chee Cheong Fun, it is advisable to wash the pan before frying the prawn. The soya sauce will make the prawns looks ugly as the soya sauce in the pan gets burnt easily and become black.
- You can add in some chilli sauce if that is your preference
Suggested Modifications for Special Diets
- Child-Friendly: Kids will love the bite sized chee cheong fun rolls, egg and prawn combination. Use less oil for a healthier version of this dish.
- Fish-Free: No modifications required
- Gluten-Free: Use gluten free oyster sauce and soy sauce (Lee Kum Kee has a gluten-free range that you can check out).
- Nut-Free: No modifications needed.