How to Slice Gourds (And Other Tubular Vegetables) Into Strips: Save time with this easy and efficient technique for cutting gourds and tubular vegetables into strips! Tried and tested!
8 Simple Steps for Slicing Chinese Gourds into Strips.
- Position the cutting edge of the knife closest to the handle at the far end of the gourd.
- Use the knife to scrape upwards, tilting the gourd at a 30º angle.
- Slice the gourd into 5mm widths, angling the knife diagonally to elongate the shape of the slices.
- Use your knuckles as a guide for the knife, while curling your fingers in for better control and safety.
- When reaching the end, lay the gourd flat to slice instead. Ensure you tilt the knife slightly downwards as a precaution.
- Try to keep the slices neatly in a row during cutting. This makes stacking easier in the next step.
- Arrange the slices into small stacks. Take each stack in turn and start slicing them into 5mm width strips.
- And voila! You have a bowl of beautifully cut strips of gourd ready for cooking! And, now if you are looking to put your newfound skills to practice, you can try out this Glass Noodles (Tang Hoon) with Fuzzy Gourd (毛瓜冬粉) recipe!
If you enjoyed this tutorial on How to Slice Gourds, do check out our growing collection of “How To” Tutorials!
100: Marketing Survival Skills
- Every Foodie’s MUST-HAVE Guide to the 10 Most Common Local Fishes
- The 10 Things You MUST Know About Choosing the Freshest Fish
- How to Choose Broccoli
- How to Choose Shiitake Mushrooms
- How to Choose Bitter Gourd
200: Kitchen Survival Skills
- How to Clean and Prepare Prawns
- How to Pack and Store Prawns
- 6 Simple Steps to Scale and Clean Your Fish Like A Pro
- How to Clean Squid
- How to Slice Gourds (And Other Tubular Vegetables) Into Strips