Ramen Egg (Japanese Soft Boiled Egg): Japanese soft-boiled eggs are a great addition to any meal, whether it be Ramen or even a simple salad. It is delicious, needs only 4 ingredients and takes only 20 minutes active time!
Eating a bowl of Japanese Ramen without Japanese Soft Boiled Egg is like eating strawberries without whipped cream. This recipe for Japanese Soft Boiled Egg should give you the perfect texture for Ramen egg, where the egg is still slightly soft and chewy, yet not runny. But it may take you a few tries to master that perfect texture depending on the size of the eggs you are using. Make it the day before, and add it to a steaming hot bowl of Tonkotsu Ramen with Pork Belly Chashu or as a salad topping!
Hope you enjoy this recipe, and please leave me a comment below if you have any questions, suggestions or feedback for me!
Suggested Modifications for Special Diets
- Child-Friendly: No modifications needed.
- Fish-Free: No modifications needed.
- Gluten-Free: No modifications needed.
- Nut-Free: No modifications needed.
- Shellfish-Free: No modifications needed.
- Vegetarian: No modifications needed
Ramen Egg (Japanese Soft Boiled Egg)
- 6 Eggs Medium Sized
MARINADE FOR THE EGGS
- 3 tbsp Shoyu (Japanese Soya Sauce)
- 1 1/2 tbsp Mirin
- 8 tbsp Water
PREPARATION FOR JAPANESE SOFT BOILED EGG (10 mins, start 4 hours before or the night before)
Add tap water to the pot. Water level should reach 1 inch above the eggs when the eggs are placed in the pot.
In a bowl, add in the soya sauce, mirin and water and and mix well.
- Get ready a ziplock plastic bag.
- Put the ice into a big bowl and add water to it.
COOKING METHOD (10 mins)
Bring the water in the pot to a boil. Once it is boiling, lower the heat until the water is just simmering.
Take the eggs from the fridge and gently lower the eggs into the water with a slotted ladle.
Let it simmer for 6 mins, gently swirling the eggs around with a spoon.
After 6 mins, remove the eggs immediately and plunge into the bowl of iced water for about 3 mins.
Once the eggs have cooled down, gently remove the shells from the eggs.
- Put the eggs into the bowl of soya sauce mixture and mix well.
Then transfer the eggs together with the sauce into the ziplock bag.
- Leave the bag in the fridge for 3-4 hours or overnight for the eggs to continue marinating before serving.
- It's best to use eggs about a week old. If the egg is very fresh, it is difficult to remove the shell.
- The ultimate effect of runny egg yokes will depend on the size of the eggs. So you have to make a few attempts to make it right.