Steamed Meatballs in Chilli Oil: This is a great dish to use up any leftover meat stuffing from making wontons. Not only does it look fabulous, it tastes really delicious and is so quick and simple to make!
GRAB OUR HERITAGE HAWKER DELIGHTS COOKBOOK + EBOOK BUNDLED DEAL FOR JUST $44.85 (U.P. $54.80)
After completing our last batch of wontons, we realised we still had quick a bit of leftover meat stuffing, and no more wanton wrappers. Instead of heading out to buy more, we decided to try this new recipe to use up the leftover meat stuffing mixture.
Not only does it look fabulous, it tasted really yummy too because the steamed meatballs and butterflied prawns went really well with the chilli oil.
Get more Pork Recipes here
The problem of running out of dumping wrappers and being left with too much meat stuffing is a perennial one. So I’m definitely going to keep this recipe in mind the next time I make wonton, siew mai, dim sum cabbage rolls or stuffed squid rolls as they all use the same meat stuffing!
Hope you enjoy this recipe, and please leave me a comment below if you have any questions, suggestions or feedback for me!
Suggested Modifications for Special Diets
- Egg-Free: Skip the egg.
- Fish-Free: No modifications needed.
- Gluten-Free: Use gluten free condiments such as gluten free soy sauce.
- Nut-Free: No modifications needed.
Steamed Meatballs in Chilli Oil
This is a great dish to use up any leftover meat stuffing from making wontons. Not only does it look fabulous, it tastes really delicious and its so quick and simple to make!
- 350 grams Lean Pork
- 2-3 pieces Black Wooden Ear Fungus
- 15 Prawns Medium Size , Chopped
- 12 Prawns Medium Size, Whole
- 6-7 Water Chestnuts
- 1 Egg
- 2 Sprigs Spring Onions
- 1 tsp Salt
- 2-3 tsp Oil
- 2 tsp Corn Flour
- 2 1/2 tsp Light Soy Sauce
- A Dash White Pepper
- 12 TBsp Chilli Oil
- 2 sprig Coriander
PREPARATION FOR STEAMED MEATBALLS IN CHILLI OIL (Active Time: 25 min, Total Time: 50 min) [Skip preparation steps 1-10 if you are using leftover meat stuffing]
- Soak the wooden fungus for about 20 minutes until it expands and becomes soft.
Mince the pork coarsely and put into a bowl.
- Marinate the pork with the marinade ingredients for about 15 minutes.
- Wash the water chestnut, using a brush to remove the mud. Remove the skin with a peeler. Then cut the water chestnut into small cubes.
Wash, shell and devein 15 prawns. Then cut into 3 pieces each. See my video on how to devein prawns here.
- Wash and cut the spring onion into small pieces.
- Wash the wooden fungus thoroughly to remove the sand in between the grooves and cut into small squares.
Add the water chestnut, wooden fungus, chopped prawns and spring onion to the pork and mix well.
Crack an egg into the pork mixture, then mix well until incorporated.
Leave the pork mixture in the fridge for 1/2 hour.
Wash, devein and butterfly the remaining 12 prawns. Remove the shell but leave the shell on the tail section on.
COOKING METHOD FOR STEAMED MEATBALLS IN CHILLI OIL (20 min)
Scoop the meat mixture into 12 large sauce plates (about 2 TBsp) and shape into a mound.
Place a butterflied prawn on top of each meatball and fasten with a toothpick.
Steam over high heat for about 10-12 minutes, ensuring that there is sufficient water to steam the meatballs thoroughly.
Remove from heat, add the chilli oil and garnish with fresh coriander.
- To ensure the prawn does not curl up after steaming, you need to make several slit across the abdomen side of the prawn about 1cm apart.
- Then make a deep cut at the back of the prawn lengthwise but without cutting through it.