Disclosure: This recipe post is proudly sponsored by Tramontina Singapore.
STORY BEHIND THE RECIPE
I learnt this idea of cutting watermelon into Christmas tree shapes from one of my church friends during a ministry potluck gathering. Her Watermelon Christmas Trees were served very chilled straight out of the fridge, and garnished with a few fresh mint leaves, making a lovely and refreshing treat that almost looked too good to eat!
The best part of all is that you don’t even need toothpicks for this, because the watermelon trees can easily be picked up by the little ‘tree trunks’ that double up as a handle! I was so excited that I immediately went home to try out this idea, and my kids simply loved them. I even made these for my son’s pre-school Christmas party last year and they were very well received!
GRAB OUR HERITAGE HAWKER DELIGHTS COOKBOOK + EBOOK BUNDLED DEAL FOR JUST $44.85 (U.P. $54.80)
TRICK OF THE TRADE
All you need for this is a nicely ripened watermelon, and a good knife. And maybe some fresh mint leaves to sprinkle on top! And make sure it is very very chilled when served! So go on and try it out now!
HOW TO MAKE WATERMELON CHRISTMAS TREES?
Remove the two cut-outs and tada! you have a lovely christmas tree shaped watermelon slice. Repeat this process for the rest of the water melon. Chill in the fridge (or freezer if you prefer!) before enjoying this healthy and refreshingly good snack!
Professional Chef Knife Giveaway Contest (Closed)
To celebrate reaching 10,000 fans on Facebook, we partnered with Brazilian cookware company Tramontina to give away two 8″ professional Chef Knives (worth $75 each) to two lucky winners in Nov 2017!
These versatile high performance knives are specially forged and heat treated to ensure a highly resistant edge and precise cut, and they even come with a 25-year warranty!
Find out more about Tramontina’s knives and other products here: http://www.lazada.sg/tramontine-singapore-pte-ltd/
WATCH OUR VIDEO for how to make this recipe!
Don’t forget to subscribe to our Youtube channel for more yummy videos! Do also join us at TBK Home Cooks Facebook Group where you can post photos of your food, ask questions, share recipes and clean cooking tips from others in the group!
Watermelon Christmas Trees
- 1 Watermelon
- Cut the watermelon into half width-wise
- Lay the half watermelon on the cutting board with the cut side facing downwards, and cut the watermelon into half again.
- Hold your knife perpendicular to the shorter width of the watermelon and cut into slices. Each slice should be the shape of a quarter circle.
- Cut each slice into half to form a one-eighth pie shape
- Next, make 2 cuts on the skin section of the watermelon slice to form the base of the Christmas tree.
- Then, make a straight cut from the top of the tree trunk along the line which separates the watermelon flesh from the watermelon skin. Do the same for the other side.
- Remove the two cut-outs. Repeat this process for the rest of the water melon. Chill in the fridge (or freezer if you prefer!) before enjoying this healthy and refreshingly good snack!